Wednesday, January 14, 2015

{Glimpses} Remembering to Breathe

Do you own a sketchbook? Better yet, do you use one? I have many - one in every room in in every bag. You may remember me mentioning a few posts ago that I'm teaching at the college again. Class started last week and I required every student to start using a journal to collect inspiration or "glimpses" for our drawing class. Every week, I want them to document something that they see in their everyday life that inspires them - like a texture, color, shape, mood, or image. I thought it would be fun to do the same thing but to use the klt:sketchbook to document my observations weekly.  So here are my five  Wednesday glimpses.


Glimpse 1 - I love old barns and peeling paint. While driving the backroads today, I spotted this little barn like building up on short stilts. There was something that struck me about it- maybe it was the little ladder and the idea that I would have loved this space as a fort when I was a kid. The peeling color was wonderful too. 


Glimpse 2 - I'm trying really hard to find balance right now. The addition of teaching night classes is throwing a monkey wrench into my daily schedule. The fog was so pretty today and I found that I just started driving after a post office drop off. I pulled over for a short walk on the river dike and spotted a heron on a log and I slowly made my way towards it. I was too late get the heron in this photo, but you can see him leaving. The photo is to remind me to breathe.


Glimpse 3 - There are so many trumpeter swans in the the valley that I live in - particularly these days. I really love them. I get excited when I see them on the side of the road and if I can, I'll  pull over.  I also really enjoy fog - the combination made me giddy today. The roads were empty as well. I just sat on the side of the road, up against my car and watched these guys for awhile. This photo was to capture color.


Glimpse 4 - I have driven by this building so many times and I always give it a double glance almost as if to see if it's still standing. Today the foggy light gave it extra appeal. The window, the weather vane,  the green/yellow pollen on the building, and the fog lifting is why I took this photo. The spindly trees lined up behind the swans was a bonus. 


Glimpse 5 -  When Sayer and I walk to school in the mornings, the swans are often honking and flying overhead. There is always one point during our walk that we stop and look up. I am fascinated in not only how they fly, but their formations (I was in marching band so I can completely appreciate the complexity of what they're doing). These two flew over my head today when I was walking and I was quick with the camera. This picture is for perspective both figuratively and literally. 

Did you see anything noteworthy today?


2 comments:

  1. This is lovely - what a great idea, and the notations will help you remember special and also everyday memories. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ella! I appreciate your kind words! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails